As a baby boomer, I refuse to get old. Grow older, yes. What’s the alternative ? I’m not ready to leave this world just yet. I still have some miles to go and things to accomplish. But I’m not going to get old. Not me. I am going kicking & screaming all the way. I refuse to give in to the stereotypes or limitations that people perceive are a given. My mind still thinks young, so it’s only the caging around it that has changed.
What age has given me though, is acceptance. I have more acceptance of who I am & others, limitations & all. People are who they are, not who I would like them to be. I’m either okay with that or I’m not. Today, so much of my life is about choices and making good ones for myself.
I have more confidence & self esteem too, because I’ve lived through so much & surprisingly, have survived it all. Sometimes, in spite of myself. I have learned boundaries. I now know what is acceptable and what is not and I’m not afraid to voice that or tell someone their behavior is not okay. It sure takes a long time to grow up and figure all this stuff out. If only I knew then…
These are all valuable lessons I have acquired through living this long. Not that I’m that old, because I’m not, but you don’t get this in your 20’s, 30’s or even 40’s. I guess it’s achieving more wisdom & I don’t see any short cuts for that. You may understand some of this in theory or on an intellectual level when you’re young and I believe I did, but one can only integrate most, if not all this information on a knowing level, by having lived through it. The only way to achieve that is through time-and by living through decades of it.
- More Stats, Better Stats, Faster Stats: A Whole New Mobile ExperienceIf you’re like me, Stats is one of your most-visited screens in your WordPress app — we all want to know people are reading! Whether you use iOS or Android, the latest versions have Stat updates that bring you more useful data, faster. Updates to the layout, available statistics, and …
- Want to See a More Diverse WordPress Contributor Community? So Do We.More diverse speakers at WordCamps means a more diverse community contributing to WordPress -- and that results in better software for everyone.
- Celebrating Pride Month with WordPress.comHappy Pride Month! At Automattic, we strive to be a platform that democratizes publishing so that anyone can share their stories. This month is a great reminder for why we work hard to expand the open web.
- Publishing to WordPress from Bear Just Got BetterSharing is a core part of the iOS experience, and WordPress is committed to helping people share their stories, products, or services freely and widely. So when the fine folks at Shiny Frog—makers of the excellent writing app Bear—asked for an easier way turn Bear notes into WordPress posts, we …
- Boost Visitor Engagement and Grow Your Mailing List with the Mailchimp BlockAdd a newsletter signup form to any post or page on your website so you can stay in touch with visitors and customers.
- Three New WordPress.com Color SchemesWe've launched three new color schemes to customize your WordPress.com dashboard!
- WordPress.com’s Parent Company Announces Happy Tools, a New Suite of Products for the Future of WorkHappy Schedule, our first offering, will help distributed teams manage employee schedules and customer support.
- Electric Literature Moves to WordPress — Here’s How an Indie Publisher Thrives on the Open WebLessons from 10 years of publishing essays and fiction.
- Gender Balance is a Business IssueOn gender balance, diversity, and inclusion at Automattic.
- Join WordPress.com for an International Women’s Day Livestream PanelOn International Women’s Day this Friday, WordPress.com parent company Automattic is hosting four outstanding women tech leaders for a livestreamed conversation about professional advancement, technology, and mutual support as we strive for equity in the workplace. It’s happening Friday, March 8 at 6 pm UTC / 1 pm ET / …
- More Stats, Better Stats, Faster Stats: A Whole New Mobile Experience
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,846 hits