As a baby boomer, I refuse to get old. Grow older, yes. What’s the alternative ? I’m not ready to leave this world just yet. I still have some miles to go and things to accomplish. But I’m not going to get old. Not me. I am going kicking & screaming all the way. I refuse to give in to the stereotypes or limitations that people perceive are a given. My mind still thinks young, so it’s only the caging around it that has changed.
What age has given me though, is acceptance. I have more acceptance of who I am & others, limitations & all. People are who they are, not who I would like them to be. I’m either okay with that or I’m not. Today, so much of my life is about choices and making good ones for myself.
I have more confidence & self esteem too, because I’ve lived through so much & surprisingly, have survived it all. Sometimes, in spite of myself. I have learned boundaries. I now know what is acceptable and what is not and I’m not afraid to voice that or tell someone their behavior is not okay. It sure takes a long time to grow up and figure all this stuff out. If only I knew then…
These are all valuable lessons I have acquired through living this long. Not that I’m that old, because I’m not, but you don’t get this in your 20’s, 30’s or even 40’s. I guess it’s achieving more wisdom & I don’t see any short cuts for that. You may understand some of this in theory or on an intellectual level when you’re young and I believe I did, but one can only integrate most, if not all this information on a knowing level, by having lived through it. The only way to achieve that is through time-and by living through decades of it.
- An All-New Media Library for the WordPress iOS AppShare your images, video, and other media with the world.
- New Theme: AltoFocusMeet AltoFocus: an elegant, minimal theme designed for artists, photobloggers, and other creatives.
- The Best of WordPress.com in MayMeet the business owners featured in our first-ever TV spots, plus: WordPress turns 14, Android users get a new update, and how to design for inclusiveness.
- Launching: All New Media Picker for AndroidThere’s this… thing… in the Android WordPress app that we refer to as the “seven-item menu.” It would show up when trying to add a photo to confront you with a list of choices and we confess, we couldn’t always remember what option we wanted, either. As of the 7.3 …
- Inclusive Illustrations, By DesignI like to think that designers solve problems, while artists ask questions. And when the two go hand-in-hand, real magic happens. Why? Because the right question gets answered with the right solution — art asks, and design responds. Here at Automattic we were extremely fortunate to recently get to partner …
- The Best of WordPress.com in AprilThe 2017 default theme is here, plus: inclusive design, editing tools, Swag Store, and must-follow sites.
- Independent Publisher 2 Is HereA beloved WordPress.com theme, improved for simplicity and speed.
- New Theme: Twenty SeventeenMeet Twenty Seventeen, the brand new WordPress default theme.
- A New WordPress App Update, Designed for the iPadWe’ve redesigned the iOS app to work even better for publishing right from your tablet.
- Unlimited Premium Themes Now Included in the Premium PlanYou just got more than 200 new theme options from some of the best theme creators in the business.
- An All-New Media Library for the WordPress iOS App
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,576 hits