As a baby boomer, I refuse to get old. Grow older, yes. What’s the alternative ? I’m not ready to leave this world just yet. I still have some miles to go and things to accomplish. But I’m not going to get old. Not me. I am going kicking & screaming all the way. I refuse to give in to the stereotypes or limitations that people perceive are a given. My mind still thinks young, so it’s only the caging around it that has changed.
What age has given me though, is acceptance. I have more acceptance of who I am & others, limitations & all. People are who they are, not who I would like them to be. I’m either okay with that or I’m not. Today, so much of my life is about choices and making good ones for myself.
I have more confidence & self esteem too, because I’ve lived through so much & surprisingly, have survived it all. Sometimes, in spite of myself. I have learned boundaries. I now know what is acceptable and what is not and I’m not afraid to voice that or tell someone their behavior is not okay. It sure takes a long time to grow up and figure all this stuff out. If only I knew then…
These are all valuable lessons I have acquired through living this long. Not that I’m that old, because I’m not, but you don’t get this in your 20’s, 30’s or even 40’s. I guess it’s achieving more wisdom & I don’t see any short cuts for that. You may understand some of this in theory or on an intellectual level when you’re young and I believe I did, but one can only integrate most, if not all this information on a knowing level, by having lived through it. The only way to achieve that is through time-and by living through decades of it.
- Welcome Atavist! A Groundbreaking Publishing Platform Joins the WordPress.com FamilyLooking to the future of storytelling on WordPress.
- Bookmark Posts with Save For LaterNo time to read right now? No problem: save posts for when you do.
- Field Notes: WooCommerce Workshop for WomenThe Happiness Hiring team recently connected with WordPress communities in India and Singapore.
- New Privacy Features and Updated PoliciesWe’re rolling out updates to our privacy features and policies in the coming weeks. You’ll have more control over your personal information and more detail on what information we keep and what we do with it. The updates will also make sure we comply with new privacy laws, and will …
- Transfer Your Existing Domain to WordPress.comWhy not manage your website and your domain in one place?
- Find the Perfect Image with the Free Photo LibraryYou've got thousands of options to choose from right in your WordPress app.
- A Better Way to Find Your Next Domain NameFind the perfect domain name for your website with improved search and recommendation tools.
- Background Post and Media Uploading with WordPress for iOS 9.8Upload images and media in the background with WordPress for iOS 9.8
- The WordPress Mobile Apps Now Support Right-to-Left LanguagesNo matter what language you use on your site, you should be able to publish from any device.
- New and Improved iOS Sharing ExtensionsLearn how to share content from other apps on your iOS device.
- Welcome Atavist! A Groundbreaking Publishing Platform Joins the WordPress.com Family
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,800 hits