As a baby boomer, I refuse to get old. Grow older, yes. What’s the alternative ? I’m not ready to leave this world just yet. I still have some miles to go and things to accomplish. But I’m not going to get old. Not me. I am going kicking & screaming all the way. I refuse to give in to the stereotypes or limitations that people perceive are a given. My mind still thinks young, so it’s only the caging around it that has changed.
What age has given me though, is acceptance. I have more acceptance of who I am & others, limitations & all. People are who they are, not who I would like them to be. I’m either okay with that or I’m not. Today, so much of my life is about choices and making good ones for myself.
I have more confidence & self esteem too, because I’ve lived through so much & surprisingly, have survived it all. Sometimes, in spite of myself. I have learned boundaries. I now know what is acceptable and what is not and I’m not afraid to voice that or tell someone their behavior is not okay. It sure takes a long time to grow up and figure all this stuff out. If only I knew then…
These are all valuable lessons I have acquired through living this long. Not that I’m that old, because I’m not, but you don’t get this in your 20’s, 30’s or even 40’s. I guess it’s achieving more wisdom & I don’t see any short cuts for that. You may understand some of this in theory or on an intellectual level when you’re young and I believe I did, but one can only integrate most, if not all this information on a knowing level, by having lived through it. The only way to achieve that is through time-and by living through decades of it.
- The Block Editor is Now Supported on the WordPress Native AppsThe block editor allows for a smoother drafting experience - now possible on any screen size.
- Power Users Rejoice: You've Got SFTP and Database AccessThree new hosting management tools give you direct access to your site’s files and data.
- New Theme: Twenty TwentyMeet Twenty Twenty, the brand new WordPress default theme.
- PHP 7.4 Just Came Out, and So Did Our PHP Version SwitcherIf your site is on the Business or eCommerce plan, you can switch to the newest version of PHP today.
- A New Way to Earn Money on WordPress.comWith Recurring Payments, your supporters become your sustainers, and a reliable income stream frees you to push your creative boundaries.
- Join us in a Digital Climate StrikeThis September, millions will take to the streets to demand an end to the age of fossil fuels. Show your solidarity by displaying a digital climate strike banner for the month.
- WordPress.com and Fiverr Partner to Launch “WordPress.com Fundamentals” CourseLooking for a step-by-step video course on how to build a website? We've got you covered.
- When Experienced Women Engineers Look for New Jobs, They Prioritize Trust and GrowthAutomattic, WordPress.com's parent company, set out to learn how to boost applications from women and non-binary developers.
- The Second Edition of Our “Learn User Support” Workshop Is Open for SignupsStarting August 19, we'll offer another virtual course for women interested in a technical-support career.
- Four New WordPress.com Color SchemesWe’ve added four new color schemes to customize your WordPress.com dashboard!
- The Block Editor is Now Supported on the WordPress Native Apps
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,871 hits