I’ll just say it. This winter has been relentless. The whole country is weather crazy. But once again, we’re getting snow. Major snow.
When I first moved here about 4 years ago in winter, a few friends asked what I’ll do when there’s a storm, being out here with a sparse population and all.
“Don’t worry,” I laughed. “It never snows on the coast .” Right. Until I moved here , it really didn’t. So, Mother Nature made a liar out of me and I don’t find the humor in the irony.
The first few snow falls of the season are pretty. As long as you’re someplace warm by a fire, with lots of wood, some books to read, good food & still have power. At this point, it’s just become one more pain I don’t relish dealing with.
Thank God it’s light and fluffy. I went out about 5 hours ago to brush off my car. That was a waste of time. It’s snowing harder now so I’m sure it’s buried. I’ll be lucky to find it. I’ll just look for the odd shaped drift in my driveway.
The winds are going to be strong in the early a.m. so that could mean a power outage. I have flashlights, candles & matches next to my bed. Three pots are filled with water in the kitchen & the fireplace is set up and ready to be lit if the power does go & there’s no heat.
When I talk to my friends in the warmer climates, they say stupid things like, “Well, thank God you’re not in Minnesota, Wyoming or Canada .” Like that makes me feel better. What the hell is the difference ? When it gets below 25 and with the wind chill feels like 0, it could be 20 below. It doesn’t matter. At that point cold is cold. Do people really think your body can feel that slight a difference, when at either temperature you’re at risk for frostbite ? ?
It would be like me telling someone who’s sweating their butt off in 110 degrees to stick their head in the oven for a minute at 250. Would that make them feel better ? I could answer the question if you’re stumped. So shut up. Say nothing. Maybe sympathize a little.
More great news- After the storm passes, we’re going to be graced with another blast of arctic air that should last through the week-end. Are they joking ? I want to see that weatherman get his ass fired !
I opened the front door before I came to bed to make sure I could get out. I hate feeling trapped. It still cleared the snow. If not, lucky for me I have two additional exits.
This reminds me of the time in the 90’s, when my ex husband and I were living in a rural area. It was April for God’s sake. There was a storm the night before but I paid little attention to it. It wasn’t even in my consciousness.
The next morning, I did my usual routine- showered, got dressed for work and went downstairs into the kitchen where my husband greeted me. ” Where do you think you’re going ?” He asked. “To work,” I said very matter of factly. “You think so ? Have you looked outside lately?” I was a bit puzzled, so I went to the door and I couldn’t open it. I couldn’t get out because the snow was so wet and heavy and had drifted against it. “Shit, I guess not,” and I resigned to staying at home and took off my shoes.
Yes I said shoes, not boots, because that’s what you’d expect to wear on your feet in April. Then I got comfortable and swore I wasn’t going to do this again. I’ve been saying that sentence for the last 15 years. I’m crazy. I must be. But I’m saying it one more time. And I swear this time I’m serious. I’m done.
I love sunshine & warmth & do much better with both. This is the last year I’m ever shoveling snow again. This time I really mean it. If I’m repeating myself same time next year, put me in that institution. But please, if it comes to that, just make sure it’s clean, sunny and warm.
- An All-New Media Library for the WordPress iOS AppShare your images, video, and other media with the world.
- New Theme: AltoFocusMeet AltoFocus: an elegant, minimal theme designed for artists, photobloggers, and other creatives.
- The Best of WordPress.com in MayMeet the business owners featured in our first-ever TV spots, plus: WordPress turns 14, Android users get a new update, and how to design for inclusiveness.
- Launching: All New Media Picker for AndroidThere’s this… thing… in the Android WordPress app that we refer to as the “seven-item menu.” It would show up when trying to add a photo to confront you with a list of choices and we confess, we couldn’t always remember what option we wanted, either. As of the 7.3 …
- Inclusive Illustrations, By DesignI like to think that designers solve problems, while artists ask questions. And when the two go hand-in-hand, real magic happens. Why? Because the right question gets answered with the right solution — art asks, and design responds. Here at Automattic we were extremely fortunate to recently get to partner …
- The Best of WordPress.com in AprilThe 2017 default theme is here, plus: inclusive design, editing tools, Swag Store, and must-follow sites.
- Independent Publisher 2 Is HereA beloved WordPress.com theme, improved for simplicity and speed.
- New Theme: Twenty SeventeenMeet Twenty Seventeen, the brand new WordPress default theme.
- A New WordPress App Update, Designed for the iPadWe’ve redesigned the iOS app to work even better for publishing right from your tablet.
- Unlimited Premium Themes Now Included in the Premium PlanYou just got more than 200 new theme options from some of the best theme creators in the business.
- An All-New Media Library for the WordPress iOS App
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,576 hits