What keeps me up ? My next step in life & how I’m going to get there. What steps do I need to take ?
And nothing will get my attention faster than pain, whether it’s psychological or physical. Thoughts are more provoking. They keep me awake more- they’re harder for me to shake
I know this- in many ways, my psyche has become more delicate over the years. I can’t talk to anyone for at least an hour before bedtime. Watching tv, even mindless shows ( which most are today anyway) or being on my computer all do the same thing. They stimulate me and I get all wound up like a little kid, then can’t fall asleep.
The worst offender of all, is either reading, listening to or watching a piece about injustice or unkindness, especially to animals.
I once unknowingly, watched no more than a graphic 10 seconds on this sick bastard who was a trainer in Tennessee and abused the sweet Tennessee Walking horse to get their gait up to win competitions. May he have a miserable rest of his life. Sorry, but I have little mercy for Hitler attitudes, whether with people or animals. He was exposed on Night-line.
The next day I had a 40 minute conversation with the D.A. there & I started a petition for the governor to make stringent laws regarding these cruel practices on Change.org. Nothing seems to get me more than cruelty to animals.
Well, cruelty to the elderly, children and vulnerable are pretty bad too. After that piece, it took a few nights for me to fall asleep without those images dominating my thoughts when I closed my eyes . I can’t watch that stuff. I can’t take in those visions. I think I am too empathic.
I pick up a book. It could be poetry, self help or non-fiction. Sometimes, immersing oneself in a good fantasy is a calming force. Reading is the drug that quiets me & stills my mind long enough to relax. So I try to keep a book next to my bed. It’s a great thing to get lost in a story. There are also no side effects or residue either. It’s the best sleep I know.
- Add A Simple Payment Button To Your WordPress.com Premium Or Business SiteWith our new PayPal integration, you can start selling in seconds.
- Better Blogging Through Podcasts: Announcing RadioPublic EmbedsWe love podcasts: they’re like the blogging version of radio, a medium anyone can jump into and use to share their story. They introduce us to new voices and give us glimpses into new perspectives… and they pair perfectly with blogs and websites, where they can add more texture and …
- An Updated Login Coming to the WordPress Mobile AppsLogging in to your site should be hassle-free, regardless of which device you're using.
- WordPress.com Business Now Supports Plugins and Third-Party ThemesGet access to email and social media tools, ecommerce, custom themes, and more.
- A Brand New Editor for the WordPress Mobile AppsNow that so many of us carry around tiny pocket-size computers, more and more of our Internet time happens on phones and tablets — not just browsing, but creating. You’ve been asking for a better publishing experience in the WordPress app to make mobile publishing smoother. Today we’re introducing a …
- You Can Now Schedule Your Social Media Posts from WordPress.comTake a look at the new Advanced Social Media feature for Premium and Business plan users.
- WordPress.com Teams Up with Rebrand Cities to Bring Local Businesses OnlineInside our plan to work with 10,000 small businesses.
- Join Us in the Fight for Net NeutralityThe free and open internet depends on Net Neutrality. Join us in the fight to preserve it on July 12.
- WordPress.com Gets a Perfect Score from the EFF for Digital Privacy RightsThe Electronic Frontier Foundation has released its annual 'Who Has Your Back' report.
- The Best of WordPress.com: Summer EditionThis month: Tips for WordPress.com bloggers, a new Social Icons Widget, and Haruki Murakami’s advice to young writers.
- Add A Simple Payment Button To Your WordPress.com Premium Or Business Site
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,736 hits