What keeps me up ? My next step in life & how I’m going to get there. What steps do I need to take ?
And nothing will get my attention faster than pain, whether it’s psychological or physical. Thoughts are more provoking. They keep me awake more- they’re harder for me to shake
I know this- in many ways, my psyche has become more delicate over the years. I can’t talk to anyone for at least an hour before bedtime. Watching tv, even mindless shows ( which most are today anyway) or being on my computer all do the same thing. They stimulate me and I get all wound up like a little kid, then can’t fall asleep.
The worst offender of all, is either reading, listening to or watching a piece about injustice or unkindness, especially to animals.
I once unknowingly, watched no more than a graphic 10 seconds on this sick bastard who was a trainer in Tennessee and abused the sweet Tennessee Walking horse to get their gait up to win competitions. May he have a miserable rest of his life. Sorry, but I have little mercy for Hitler attitudes, whether with people or animals. He was exposed on Night-line.
The next day I had a 40 minute conversation with the D.A. there & I started a petition for the governor to make stringent laws regarding these cruel practices on Change.org. Nothing seems to get me more than cruelty to animals.
Well, cruelty to the elderly, children and vulnerable are pretty bad too. After that piece, it took a few nights for me to fall asleep without those images dominating my thoughts when I closed my eyes . I can’t watch that stuff. I can’t take in those visions. I think I am too empathic.
I pick up a book. It could be poetry, self help or non-fiction. Sometimes, immersing oneself in a good fantasy is a calming force. Reading is the drug that quiets me & stills my mind long enough to relax. So I try to keep a book next to my bed. It’s a great thing to get lost in a story. There are also no side effects or residue either. It’s the best sleep I know.
- The Second Edition of Our “Learn User Support” Workshop Is Open for SignupsStarting August 19, we'll offer another virtual course for women interested in a technical-support career.
- Four New WordPress.com Color SchemesWe’ve added four new color schemes to customize your WordPress.com dashboard!
- More Stats, Better Stats, Faster Stats: A Whole New Mobile ExperienceIf you’re like me, Stats is one of your most-visited screens in your WordPress app — we all want to know people are reading! Whether you use iOS or Android, the latest versions have Stat updates that bring you more useful data, faster. Updates to the layout, available statistics, and …
- Want to See a More Diverse WordPress Contributor Community? So Do We.More diverse speakers at WordCamps means a more diverse community contributing to WordPress -- and that results in better software for everyone.
- Celebrating Pride Month with WordPress.comHappy Pride Month! At Automattic, we strive to be a platform that democratizes publishing so that anyone can share their stories. This month is a great reminder for why we work hard to expand the open web.
- Publishing to WordPress from Bear Just Got BetterSharing is a core part of the iOS experience, and WordPress is committed to helping people share their stories, products, or services freely and widely. So when the fine folks at Shiny Frog—makers of the excellent writing app Bear—asked for an easier way turn Bear notes into WordPress posts, we …
- Boost Visitor Engagement and Grow Your Mailing List with the Mailchimp BlockAdd a newsletter signup form to any post or page on your website so you can stay in touch with visitors and customers.
- Three New WordPress.com Color SchemesWe've launched three new color schemes to customize your WordPress.com dashboard!
- WordPress.com’s Parent Company Announces Happy Tools, a New Suite of Products for the Future of WorkHappy Schedule, our first offering, will help distributed teams manage employee schedules and customer support.
- Electric Literature Moves to WordPress — Here’s How an Indie Publisher Thrives on the Open WebLessons from 10 years of publishing essays and fiction.
- The Second Edition of Our “Learn User Support” Workshop Is Open for Signups
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,852 hits