What keeps me up ? My next step in life & how I’m going to get there. What steps do I need to take ?
And nothing will get my attention faster than pain, whether it’s psychological or physical. Thoughts are more provoking. They keep me awake more- they’re harder for me to shake
I know this- in many ways, my psyche has become more delicate over the years. I can’t talk to anyone for at least an hour before bedtime. Watching tv, even mindless shows ( which most are today anyway) or being on my computer all do the same thing. They stimulate me and I get all wound up like a little kid, then can’t fall asleep.
The worst offender of all, is either reading, listening to or watching a piece about injustice or unkindness, especially to animals.
I once unknowingly, watched no more than a graphic 10 seconds on this sick bastard who was a trainer in Tennessee and abused the sweet Tennessee Walking horse to get their gait up to win competitions. May he have a miserable rest of his life. Sorry, but I have little mercy for Hitler attitudes, whether with people or animals. He was exposed on Night-line.
The next day I had a 40 minute conversation with the D.A. there & I started a petition for the governor to make stringent laws regarding these cruel practices on Change.org. Nothing seems to get me more than cruelty to animals.
Well, cruelty to the elderly, children and vulnerable are pretty bad too. After that piece, it took a few nights for me to fall asleep without those images dominating my thoughts when I closed my eyes . I can’t watch that stuff. I can’t take in those visions. I think I am too empathic.
I pick up a book. It could be poetry, self help or non-fiction. Sometimes, immersing oneself in a good fantasy is a calming force. Reading is the drug that quiets me & stills my mind long enough to relax. So I try to keep a book next to my bed. It’s a great thing to get lost in a story. There are also no side effects or residue either. It’s the best sleep I know.
- Welcome Atavist! A Groundbreaking Publishing Platform Joins the WordPress.com FamilyLooking to the future of storytelling on WordPress.
- Bookmark Posts with Save For LaterNo time to read right now? No problem: save posts for when you do.
- Field Notes: WooCommerce Workshop for WomenThe Happiness Hiring team recently connected with WordPress communities in India and Singapore.
- New Privacy Features and Updated PoliciesWe’re rolling out updates to our privacy features and policies in the coming weeks. You’ll have more control over your personal information and more detail on what information we keep and what we do with it. The updates will also make sure we comply with new privacy laws, and will …
- Transfer Your Existing Domain to WordPress.comWhy not manage your website and your domain in one place?
- Find the Perfect Image with the Free Photo LibraryYou've got thousands of options to choose from right in your WordPress app.
- A Better Way to Find Your Next Domain NameFind the perfect domain name for your website with improved search and recommendation tools.
- Background Post and Media Uploading with WordPress for iOS 9.8Upload images and media in the background with WordPress for iOS 9.8
- The WordPress Mobile Apps Now Support Right-to-Left LanguagesNo matter what language you use on your site, you should be able to publish from any device.
- New and Improved iOS Sharing ExtensionsLearn how to share content from other apps on your iOS device.
- Welcome Atavist! A Groundbreaking Publishing Platform Joins the WordPress.com Family
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,806 hits