What keeps me up ? My next step in life & how I’m going to get there. What steps do I need to take ?
And nothing will get my attention faster than pain, whether it’s psychological or physical. Thoughts are more provoking. They keep me awake more- they’re harder for me to shake
I know this- in many ways, my psyche has become more delicate over the years. I can’t talk to anyone for at least an hour before bedtime. Watching tv, even mindless shows ( which most are today anyway) or being on my computer all do the same thing. They stimulate me and I get all wound up like a little kid, then can’t fall asleep.
The worst offender of all, is either reading, listening to or watching a piece about injustice or unkindness, especially to animals.
I once unknowingly, watched no more than a graphic 10 seconds on this sick bastard who was a trainer in Tennessee and abused the sweet Tennessee Walking horse to get their gait up to win competitions. May he have a miserable rest of his life. Sorry, but I have little mercy for Hitler attitudes, whether with people or animals. He was exposed on Night-line.
The next day I had a 40 minute conversation with the D.A. there & I started a petition for the governor to make stringent laws regarding these cruel practices on Change.org. Nothing seems to get me more than cruelty to animals.
Well, cruelty to the elderly, children and vulnerable are pretty bad too. After that piece, it took a few nights for me to fall asleep without those images dominating my thoughts when I closed my eyes . I can’t watch that stuff. I can’t take in those visions. I think I am too empathic.
I pick up a book. It could be poetry, self help or non-fiction. Sometimes, immersing oneself in a good fantasy is a calming force. Reading is the drug that quiets me & stills my mind long enough to relax. So I try to keep a book next to my bed. It’s a great thing to get lost in a story. There are also no side effects or residue either. It’s the best sleep I know.
- An All-New Media Library for the WordPress iOS AppShare your images, video, and other media with the world.
- New Theme: AltoFocusMeet AltoFocus: an elegant, minimal theme designed for artists, photobloggers, and other creatives.
- The Best of WordPress.com in MayMeet the business owners featured in our first-ever TV spots, plus: WordPress turns 14, Android users get a new update, and how to design for inclusiveness.
- Launching: All New Media Picker for AndroidThere’s this… thing… in the Android WordPress app that we refer to as the “seven-item menu.” It would show up when trying to add a photo to confront you with a list of choices and we confess, we couldn’t always remember what option we wanted, either. As of the 7.3 …
- Inclusive Illustrations, By DesignI like to think that designers solve problems, while artists ask questions. And when the two go hand-in-hand, real magic happens. Why? Because the right question gets answered with the right solution — art asks, and design responds. Here at Automattic we were extremely fortunate to recently get to partner …
- The Best of WordPress.com in AprilThe 2017 default theme is here, plus: inclusive design, editing tools, Swag Store, and must-follow sites.
- Independent Publisher 2 Is HereA beloved WordPress.com theme, improved for simplicity and speed.
- New Theme: Twenty SeventeenMeet Twenty Seventeen, the brand new WordPress default theme.
- A New WordPress App Update, Designed for the iPadWe’ve redesigned the iOS app to work even better for publishing right from your tablet.
- Unlimited Premium Themes Now Included in the Premium PlanYou just got more than 200 new theme options from some of the best theme creators in the business.
- An All-New Media Library for the WordPress iOS App
- Follow aboomersvoice on WordPress.com
First and foremost, I'm a baby boomer and damn proud of it. The ones reading this post survived. Some didn't..We are the generation that crashed through barriers, broke through the norm and made our own rules. We paved the way for others to follow their bliss. One of the largest breakthroughs was probably equal rights and opportunities for women. Thank you Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan. We burned our bras, well, most of us did. We marched against politics we didn't believe in, staged protests not knowing we could easily be silenced by a bullet, experimented with drugs, meditation and guru's. We traveled with backpacks across the country and throughout the world..We had a voice. We had a choice. We had a mission. We had freedom and we were united. I am a writer, traveler, explorer, observer and participant in life. I am part of the expansion of baby boomers who still believe in the original message of peace and love. Take this journey.with me. Who knows where it will take us next ?
- 4,576 hits